Tuesday 23 August 2011


I've just got back from a week (and a bit) in Leeds. I didn't really get much art done there even though I was definitely in the mood. I figured it would be a bit silly doing loads of painting and then having to carry it to Chesterfield. I did do some little doodles though. Little squares with simple line patterns and compositions in them. I was reading some guides to composition recently and one of the things that I found interesting was a comment about patterns. One of the things that you have to be careful of when painting is not to turn your abstract painting into a "pattern". If you do then the whole thing will read as one object rather than a composition of objects. There are some artists that actually work like this on purpose, making the painting itself an art object rather than a picture of art objects.

Anyway. I'm rambling. But the "art as object" thing is definitely something I'm going to consider. These are my doodles. Some of them are a bit shaky as they were done on the bus and some were done when I was a bit tipsy.

I'll try and keep building on this catalogue of tiny line drawings



more slightly less relevant doodles from the past week


It could be worth taking inspiration from these and doing a bunch of tiny paintings inspired by  these and the mono drawings.

No comments:

Post a Comment